Thursday, March 14, 2013

Letting out my inner 2 year old - allowing myself this selfish, whining post :)

I apologize - yes, I did read this post and know how ridiculous it is.  Feel free to skip if you're easily annoyed.  But I am doing this blog in part to document my thoughts through this process, and good or bad, these are my thoughts at this particular time.

The little patience I did have is officially used up. We are still waiting on a start date and my excitement has been blown by the delay. I'm almost to the point of being so frustrated that I'm mad. Want them to start already!!!!  As of today, there is a chance that we may start March 25, but won't know for sure until next week.  We signed our contract January 6th; I know it really wasn't Ryan's fault that the building permit got held up, but I worked hard to try and push it along when I realized it was a problem.  I would figure Ryan would be decent enough to prioritize our build now and do what they had to do and get us started immediately.
We're running into a time crunch now.  We really need to be moved out by July 1st, so our current home is ready for tenant occupancy on that date.  Financially, we need to have renters start paying rent for July.  I know some find temporary housing in situations like this, and we could stay with my parents, but we can't can't afford to pay movers twice or for temporary storage for our furniture.  We also don't have the connections or manpower to move ourselves to try and save money.

We are cutting it close now, if we are fortunate enough to have them start on March 25th.  There will not be room for any of the inevitible delays with construction, inspections, darn NVR mortgage, or certificates of occupancy...  I was comfortable with a build schedule predicting end of May/beginning of June completion because that left plenty of time and I would not have to stress about the building time.  Now I know I'll have to worry and keep ahead of everything to try and facilitate things running smoothly.

**NO - positive thinking - I have to believe it WILL work out and we WILL start on or before March 25th.  I have to have faith that we will still get a super low interest rate and be able to rent our current home for the amount of money we need (and be out by July 1st).**

I do know that it will happen soon, and everything will be better when it does start, but still.

One bit of good news - I got my Guardian change (still don't know why we're paying $1,680 just to get cable wire run through the house but at least now were not paying for things we won't use).  

Of course, I've been given too much time to think (and, ok, I'm me) so there are a few "coulda/shoulda/wouldas" that keep popping up.  However at this point the only thing I really think I could /should change is to switch to the standard laminate so I can pick my own color and slab of granite.  So afraid I will cry when the Luna Pearl is installed because it's not what I'm looking for.  Plus, $5400 is a LOT to spend on something I'm having MAJOR doubts about, and it's straight out of pocket and not in the mortgage.

But I can't risk annoying Ryan by asking for the change order to delete the granite; can't risk getting our start date delayed even more, so I'm stuck...

Honestly, I'm truly thankful we are able to build this beautiful house and when it starts, I will focus on the good and not keep thinking about the things I wanted or should have done different. I feel really bad whining about start dates, lot selection, granite and the pricing for what limited upgrades are available when I really DO realize we are very fortunate to be able to have this house.  I think it's just this wait that's getting to me.