Wednesday, May 1, 2013

End of First Month

Between last Friday and today, they got the plumbing and HVAC mostly complete, as well as a good start on the electric.  Guardian should be out Friday and next week are inspections, insulation and possibly drywall!  PM said he will give the "main office" his target completion date after the Energy Star inspection (don't know when that is though).  PM also mentioned there's been a delay with our brick, saying there was something about a supply problem, so I hope that comes in soon.

Current pics, in random blogger order.  I couldn't get too many because my memory card ran out of space (and the kids were getting bored)...

garage windows/door, kitchen windows and master bedroom above

drain for the welled exit waiting to be installed
study, living room and bedroom 3 above (the small window is the jack/jill bath)
  
garage steps
kitchen, they've already marked for the cabinets

kitchen island

view out of the window above the kitchen sink

kitchen wall (double ovens and refrigerator) looking into mud room and garage

family room - "HOLE" marked for drywall hatch
that wall is into the study (the one we want to insulate)
We learned that they get the drywall into the basement via a hole in the family room floor (our neighbor's was in the living room).  This is true even though we have the double welled walkout in the basement... Strange.  We also learned that they don't screw down our subfloors, just nails and glue.  Think I will still want to try to drive in some screws at some point, at least on the first floor under the hardwood.

Insulation:  We were too late to order Roxul so we just purchased some regular insulation hoping that something will be better than nothing.  I did hear from a reliable source that the Roxul does some for the sound, but it's mainly the high pitches - does not really do anything for the lows.  I also am going to get a quote from the insulation contractor to see how much they will charge to insulate the garage and between bedroom 4 and the master.  We only purchased enough insulation to do between the study and family room.  I think insulating will be a little harder than I thought because the studs are not standard/uniform so we will have to cut the edges down (the spacing between our studs varies by an inch or so in some places).  I though it would be simple to just roll in between the studs cut the bottom and staple the sides.  We also don't have 16" on center interior walls, it looks like they did them for 24" on center; meaning I'll never be able to find a stud to hang things :)

We had a meeting with PM this afternoon to discuss some framing issues and the electrician was there.  I won't even go into the fact that I asked PM last week to let me know about the electrician's schedule (because I wanted to be there to make a few changes).  But I'm glad we caught him.  I was able to get the recessed lights above the kitchen island installed on their own separate switch.  I was surprised to find there are only two lights over the island - I could of sworn there were three.  But two is correct, according to the blueprints (had to triple-check).  Because the electrician had already done upstairs, there was only one switch move that I wanted and could not get. Guess that's not too bad.