Friday, February 1, 2013

Surprise - Sticks!!!

Because I just couldn't help it, I drove by my lot today after work.  I wasn't expecting to see anything but to my surprise I have stakes!!!  Is it bad to say that was the highlight of my week?  :)

I couldn't step out on the lot because it was a muddy mess and I had heels on, but sitting there in my car it hit me: this is real - our house will be built here.  I CAN'T WAIT!

So I sat in my car with a big cheesy grin on my face (like a crazy person) taking pictures with my phone of dirt and wooden stakes.  I cringe to think of what my neighbors are going to think of me over the next couple of months.  Hopefully they will have been there and will understand.

Of course I could only guess at what all the stakes meant, but I think I figured some of it out.   I'm fairly certain the 4 blue-topped sticks on the front, right-hand side of the house show our garage.






Note to self:  put flip flops and camera in car - for the "unexpected" drive-bys.

I'm still super happy, but one thing did sink in.  This is a very small lot for the Avalon.  It's an odd shape - wider in the back than in the front and shorter on one side.  In fact, I'm not quite sure who decided it would be ok to allow this model on that lot, but they did.  Now, we did not want a lot of land and we knew the yard was going to be small but not this small; the backyard is nonexistent. In this case, we were definitely buying the house not the lot.  But I do have to admit to feeling some disappointment when I saw exactly how little surrounding land there actually is and more important, exactly how stinkin' close our house will be to the street :(.

If I could do it over, I would definitely had the SR or PM walk the lot with me to get a feeling for exactly how the house would sit on the lot before signing a contract.  I don't know if we could have changed our minds, as there was not really any other lot choice for an Avalon (except those nearer to the power lines with lot premiums), but I would have liked to have been prepared.  I hope it's not bad that I have any type of negative feelings about this, and like I said in my original lot choice post, I'm sure the wonderful house will make me overlook the lot shortcomings.

I noticed the lot next door has now been sold.  This is great because it means their heavy (messy) construction will be done by the time we move in.  The SR said they are building a Victoria Falls, I wonder what elevation it will be?